All profile field data becomes searchable links--is irrelevant for some data types
|Reported by:||jeffsayre||Owned by:||boonebgorges|
|Component:||Component - XProfile||Keywords:||needs-patch|
When viewing a user's profile data, all fields that are not URLs, get turned into searchable links.
Whereas I like the idea of making data searchable via links, this implementation is flawed. At a minimum, it should not be linking radio buttons or checkbox selections--what value does that offer? The data in these types of fields is often too specialized to be of much meaning in a search.
Also, it arbitrarily excludes phrases over 5 words long. I believe site admins (maybe even users) should have the option to not have profile field data made into searchable links. Finally, clicking on one of these links can be confusing to users as it sends them to the members homepage without explaining what is going on. Only in very large sites will any relevant results be returned.
Here is where this happens:
In profile-loop.php (member theme), the template tag bp_the_profile_field_value() is called. This invokes the filter xprofile_filter_link_profile_data(), located in bp-xprofile-filters.php.
Obviously, making every link clickable is not necessarily the proper action--even if the goal is to facilitate more universally searchable data. Certain fields do not led themselves to being searchable simply by virtue of the data they contain.
Change History (19)
comment:6 @johnjamesjacoby — 6 years ago
- Milestone changed from 1.2 to Future Release
- Owner set to johnjamesjacoby
- Status changed from new to assigned
comment:10 @boonebgorges — 14 months ago
- Keywords ux-feedback added
- Milestone changed from Future Release to 2.1
- Priority changed from minor to normal
- Type changed from defect (bug) to enhancement
comment:16 @DJPaul — 11 months ago
- Keywords ui-feedback early added; ux-feedback removed
- Milestone changed from 2.1 to 2.2
- Owner changed from johnjamesjacoby to boonebgorges