Skip to:
Content

Opened 3 years ago

Closed 3 years ago

Last modified 3 years ago

#3175 closed defect (bug) (duplicate)

Arabic group URLs for group slugs not always work

Reported by: Menelik Seth Owned by:
Milestone: 1.5 Priority: normal
Severity: Version: 1.2.8
Component: Groups Keywords:
Cc:

Description

Arabic group URL slugs are a hit and miss. Single words seem to always work. URLs with spaces in them sometimes work, but I've come across one particular URL that returns a "Bad Request!" 400 error, whenever I try to create a group using it:

Some notices:

  1. I set the database and the bp_bp_groups table collocation to cp1256_general_ci
  1. the ‘name’ field in the wordpress database takes the Arabic text just fine. For example:

جامعة الملك عبد العزيز

  1. the ‘slug’ field records seemingly random characters instead. For example:

%d8%ac%d8%a7%d9%85%d8%b9%d8%a9-%d8%a7%d9%84%d9%85%d9%84%d9%83-%d8%b9%d8%a8%d8%af-%d8%a7%d9%84%d8%b9%

  1. I tried following this guide http://is.gd/dusori (Enableing Chinese, Arabic and Other High Unicode in WordPress Slugs

), but it didn’t work (ended up with 404 errors)

Attachments (2)

screen-capture.png (70.9 KB) - added by DJPaul 3 years ago.
error400.jpg (62.9 KB) - added by menelikseth 3 years ago.
immediately after group creation

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (8)

DJPaul3 years ago

comment:1 DJPaul3 years ago

It's just the way the slug is stored in the database. I didn't change my database collation from whatever the default was. Per my screenshot, I don't receive any 404 errors (tested on trunk).

comment:2 boonebgorges3 years ago

Could this be a duplicate of #880?

comment:3 DJPaul3 years ago

  • Component changed from BuddyPress.org to Groups
  • Keywords reporter-feedback added

Menelik, if you create a new group with this data, does the same problem occur? (best to delete the old group first, if you have a testing server). Are you on BP 1.2.8?

menelikseth3 years ago

immediately after group creation

comment:4 menelikseth3 years ago

Sorry for the late reply guys,

Firstly thank you for the replies. Yes, I'm on BP 1.2.8 and WP 3.1.2

What I've done since:

I've dropped the database via PHPMyAdmin, and created a new one. Re-Installed WP and re-activated BP. I'm using a locally hosted XAMPP installation. Let me know if you need additional info. I've attached error400.jpg note the address bar.

Last edited 3 years ago by menelikseth (previous) (diff)

comment:5 follow-up: DJPaul3 years ago

  • Keywords reporter-feedback removed
  • Milestone changed from Awaiting Review to 1.3
  • Resolution set to duplicate
  • Status changed from new to closed

I can't recreate this on trunk, even when I switch to cp1256 and cp1256_general_ci. However, I could easily recreate this on a 1.2.8, even with the default collation. URL in the browser shows it was the issued which we fixed in #880. The fix is in trunk.

comment:6 in reply to: ↑ 5 menelikseth3 years ago

Hey DJPaul,

Thanks for looking into this. I'll head over to the svn and download trunk.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.